Seeking Non-Fiction Prose for the second edition of the anthology Light as a Feather which focuses on eating disorders.
Assumptions about eating disorders have historically fallen upon the shoulders of feminine presenting individuals with white skin, typically suffering from anorexia. However, the reality is much more complex, touching on people from every race, creed, socio-economic background, gender identity, sexual orientation, with each person standing at different crossroads of privilege and marginalization. We still discuss eating disorders in hushed voices, with shame and confusion cracking our words. It is the intent of this publication to shed a little more light on this subject.
This is where YOU come in!
We want to know your story. You do not have to be a professional writer to be considered for this work. We are looking specifically for nonfiction prose, with special consideration for humor, confessions, and memoir.
You can write about anything that comes to mind, as long as it is authentic to your experience. It doesn’t have to be “heavy” or overly serious, unless you want/need it to be; we are looking for raw, honest pieces and believe that you would contribute a deep and meaningful facet to the larger story of hope and resilience.
Also, different view points are welcome. Perhaps you have lived with a person experiencing an eating disorder and have a story to tell or maybe you are in the medical field and have an introspective on the disorder you would like to share.
- All submissions will be done through Submittable. Find the form by clicking here.
- Please submit 1-3 pieces of short prose (3000 words max).
- Please title your work and edit to the best of your ability for stronger consideration.
- Include a brief cover letter and bio in the space provided by Submittable.
- Writers are encouraged to use their real names. However, pen names will be accepted. No submissions will be accepted under “Anonymous.”
- Contributors will be given two contributor copies and the ability to purchase more copies at publisher cost.
- All proceeds are donated to a non-profit TBD
- We would love to broaden the view of eating disorders, so if you feel your story is unusual/atypical, it might be just want we are seeking.
The first edition of Light as a Feather was published in 2014. It’s described as- “With themes centered on eating disorders and mental health issues, many may hesitate to pick up this collection, expecting either a morose and somber compendium of struggle, or perhaps thinking there is nothing here they can relate to. They would be wrong on both counts. Light as a Feather is a potent and surprisingly gentle assemblage of voice and experience threaded together with a delicacy that almost belies the harsh, at times almost violent, brutality of body image, external perspectives and self doubt that go hand in hand with the issues being discussed.” For reference, please check out the first edition of Light as a Feather,available through all major bookstores/distributors. Click here to find it on Amazon.